Your summer breaks are precious – but it’s time to make them count! As a prospective college student, you’re probably thinking about how you can spruce up your resume with summer jobs. Summer presents fantastic opportunities to learn and grow. Let’s explore how you can make the most of yours – taking on new experiences that enrich your life, showcase your commitment, and make your college application shine.
EMBRACE THE ADVENTURE
Summer is all about exploration. A time to broaden your horizons, learn about new things, and maybe venture beyond your comfort zone. Instead of letting the time slip away, be brave. Seize an opportunity and take an amazing journey. Consider these options to make your summers magical – and make them count!
- Pursue Your Passions: Take the summer to dive more deeply into a subject or creative venture you want to learn about.
- Serve Your Community: Volunteering not only allows you to give back but also demonstrates your commitment to making a positive impact. It’s a win-win for your personal growth – and your resume.
- Learn Something New: Challenge yourself with a course or activity that’s inside your interest zone but outside your comfort zone. When you push yourself to learn new skills, you broaden your horizons, showcase your adaptability, and learn things about yourself you didn’t know.
- Earn Some Money: Part-time jobs and internships offer a taste of the professional world and provide a good source of income. Demonstrating responsibility and work ethic during the summer can set you apart when it’s time to apply to colleges.
DISCOVER FULFILLING SUMMER PROGRAMS
Enriching your summer is about doing something worthwhile – and doing it the right way. Summer programs can be game-changers in adding structure to a summer of personal development and fun. To find the perfect program:
- Identify Your Goals: Determine your objectives for the summer. Is your goal to explore an academic interest, build leadership skills, or simply have a memorable adventure?
- Research Opportunities: Use the vast array of resources at your disposal, including online databases, college websites, and counselor recommendations. Check out programs that align with your goals.
- Timing and Location: Consider the duration and location of the program. Does it fit into your summer schedule, and is it located in a place that works for you?
- Application and Preparation: Once you’ve found a program that resonates, focus on writing a compelling application – and show up prepared!
As you get closer to the road to college, remember to have fun – but don’t let your summers go to waste! How you choose to spend your summers impacts your college search and shapes your future. Embrace an adventure, find the right summer program, and dive in. Your future self will thank you for it!